Saturday 20 July 2013

10 things of thankful #4

1.  Yes you read correctly, this is number 4, the fourth week I've been doing this properly on my own blog (and for a few weeks before that I had been chipping in in the comment boxes on Considerer's blog).  And do you know what?  I thought it would be getting harder, every week, to find 10 things.  I am so thankful that in reality I have found it much easier than I ever imagined to come up with 10 things each and every week, and they're new things, I don't think I'm repeating myself!

 2.  I received a parcel from a dear friend this week.  I knew a present for my birthday was on its way but I didn't know what it was.  I opened it and I was so so pleased with it, it was so lovely!  I spent a week's holiday with her in early June and she took a lot of photos, and while I was there we went in a stationers a picked out an album together that she needed for "a friend".  I've now got this very album, complete with lots of lovely photos from my week with them, and there's space to add more later.  It is so lovely, and I will cherish it.

3.  Today I got to go to Lepe beach for the first time in many years, to help celebrate Considerer's birthday.  The weather was beautiful, I didn't get TOO burnt, I met some of her friends I hadn't met before, and it was a lovely time.  There were also cupcakes made by her sister, which were awesome!

4.  Tomorrow I get to go out for the day with a couple of friends who weren't able to come to Monkey World a few weeks ago, and spend the day in the sunshine shopping, watching films, crafting and generally being girly - I'm really looking forward to it.

5.  We have nice scales at work in my new branch which I love as they are accurate (I am told) and are telling me that I weigh almost a stone less now than when I was at my heaviest!  I think the eating a bit less, more sensibly, and walking with Considerer is working!  Yippe!!  (only *"£^%$ more stones to go!)




6.  This week I am very thankful for ice cream.  Our CEO has, for the last couple of summers, when we've had a particularly warm spell, invited us all to go out and purchase ice creams on expenses courtesy of him.  And this week with the heatwave we've been having he repeated the exercise.

So off we went to Farmfoods where cheap multipack boxes of ice creams of all descriptions are in good supply, and our freezer box in the fridge now looks like this:

7.  I got to go and spend the evening at a gig in a pub last night with my godparents.  It was a great gig, I've seen the band twice before, and they are really good.  It was good to get out for the night and have some good music, and despite the reputation the pub has I didn't get beaten up!  It was still fairly warm even come 10 in the evening, but there was a nice breeze coming in the windows and a good time was had by all.




8.  We have had a student in our branch the last few weeks and we have taught him a lot about pharmacy (and ice cream ;) ).  He has been a really good worker, very useful to have around and on his last day got us a lovely card and box of chocolates - we will miss him, and are secretly hoping he will apply for his pre-reg year with us when the time comes!

9.  I have nice new sunglasses, and thanks to staff discount and the buy-one-get-one-half-price promotion, I thought what the hell, let's get two pairs, the thing with sunglasses is that they always break or get lost!  I am looking forward to this weather keeping up and getting chance to get good use out of them.

10.  I am thankful for my car, and the quick getaways it can provide.  Or rather Considerer is.  On leaving the house we had our church group at on Thursday, another girl also there bumped into a family just outside who knew her from when she worked at the nursery where her and Considerer both used to work together.  On seeing this happen, Considerer went into great escape mode.  She legged it quick as she could, we both got in my car, and I drove away ASAP, laughing and asking "did you not like them then?".  Obviously no.  Nice rescue!  I then asked if her poor friend also found them not to her liking - also true!  Poor friend!  Oh well, we escaped ;).

More news from the Emmaverse soon folks :)

17 comments:

  1. I was *HUGELY* grateful for you providing the getaway car that evening. Oh. My. GOSH! I did not want to speak to that woman.

    Also (so it's said nicely, by someone who knows you and cares for you and wants only what is best for you) it's COMPLETELY contradictory to be grateful for losing weight in one item, and then be grateful for an abundance of ice-cream the next! And it's not even general thankfulness - it's specifically involved, having already partaken thankfulness, isn't it :P

    I am grateful for our walks though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walks are good and I think if your tendancy to get us to pick up the pace a bit continues after this heatwave one little ice cream won't have done too much damage, I will try and ignore the rest of them which are left at work and be a good girl. You are very welcome to the getaway car, let me know if you need my services again ;).

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading "the rest of the story" (as Paul Harvey used to say.) Sounds like you and Considerer have a wonderful friendship!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really do, it is one of the things in life that is very good at the mo, and much as I miss our mutual friend who moved away, one good thing that has come out of it is me spending more time and getting closer with her, she's a gem :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Kristi's comment...fun to see the relationship between other bloggers.

    And I agree whole-heartedly about the sunglasses...you can never have too many because they ALWAYS go missing.

    Thanks for sharing your list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good that I have her to thank for getting me into blogging land. Yep, I'm all sunglasses prepared at least for a little while now ;)

      Delete
  4. getaways!! that brings back memories! lol nothing criminal...just youthful. Back in the college days, Scott (yes, *the* scott) had the only car in our group...at a certain time. And most of the time if we were to go off campus, as we got closer to the car (in the dormitory parking lot) one of us would start running, and then we would race, perhaps slide across the hood of the car, if a window was open, scott would often dive into the car through that, rather than open the door...just for the fun of it.

    thank you for triggering a pleasant memory, Emma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds funny, I wish I could think of a story from my uni days to tell you that was half as good, but nothing comes to mind at the moment, apart from the fact that in our halls in our first year we got through 3 fire blankets (none of the fires started by me I think - just shared with some bad chefs ;) ). Glad to help you reminisce Clark.

      Delete
  5. I find it quite funny that at work you have both scales to weigh yourself and a boss that buys ice cream for you all. A bit of a mixed message, no? :)

    Hearing about the Great Unpleasant Woman Escape on two different thankful lists makes me enjoy the story even more. If only we had the view of an outsider who saw the whole thing go down. I'm sure it was quite comical.

    Sounds like the beach birthday party was lovely.

    I never spend more than a few dollars on sunglasses. They get broken faster than any other thing in my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I know about having the scales and the Exec letting us by ice cream, but once a year doesn't hurt does it ;). In the UK they do draw the line at letting us sell cigarettes and alcohol though he he.

      The beach party was fab, and I think that any neighbour looking out at the street during the getaway could have had a good laugh.

      Yep, they were fairly inexpensive sunglasses as I know what I'm like with things, no Raybans here!

      Delete
    2. I was thinking it was funny the "getaway" made two lists as well! I have such a mental picture of how the whole thing went down!

      Delete
  6. Hey I just put it together that you're likely the one that Lizzi frequently gets lost with on her walks! Fun :) And I love Christine's comment about the duality of the scale and ice cream (I need to do more walking and less ice cream myself these days - congrats on losing weight!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Kristi, I am Explorer Friend he he, we are going on a walk tomorrow but I think that has a planned destination so unlikely to get lost unless Lizzi finds an interesting looking path on the way back and says something like "I wonder where this leads to?" he he. Thank you, it's a slow process but it's going the right direction so will keep on, will not let one ice cream ruin it and will endeavour to ignore the remaining contents of the ice box in the fridge!

      Delete
  7. You had ice cream AND chocolates at work and still managed to lose weight? You lucky dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I limited myself to one chocolate out of the tub of Celebrations and I think the heat has just made me feel like eating less generally, the weight has only been coming off slowly, probably not that much this week ;)

      Delete
  8. Quick getaways and ice cream! I loved both those. And you are still losing weight. I'm stuck and still need to lose another 10#. You go girl! I found you on Finding Ninee's page. I tried to find you on FB so I could LIKE but couldn't. Please let me know if you go by another name there. Have a great week and enjoy some more icecream and quick getaways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, oh those last few pounds are always the worst, with 2-3 stones to go I'm not at the plateau yet! I am on Facebook, if you follow Considerings I also like that page, Emma Burton.

      Delete