Sunday 10 November 2013

Ten Things of Thankful #16

So, it's the weekend, it's time for TTOT from the Emmaverse!

1.  New duvet set
I love it :).  And it's got my favourite things, butterflies, obviously!



2.  Safe journey down
I am down in Cornwall for the weekend, and despite a bit of rain to start the journey Saturday morning, the weather wasn't that bad, the roads were clear, and I got here safely and in good time.


3.  Falmouth - shopping
I popped over to Falmouth yesterday afternoon to go to a few favourite shops.  I managed to get some Cornish tartan ribbon for my Dad's birthday and Christmas cards, and a few sweets in an amazing sweet shop, and I surprised myself at being enormously restrained in the bag and accessories shop - I came out with NOTHING!


4.  Nan's church
I got to worship at the church where my Nan used to attend this morning, and it was lovely to get back there.


5.  Stavros
I had wanted to try out the Mexican restaurant here in Newquay tonight, but alas despite their website saying they should be open they were in darkness.  So I knew where to go - a little Greek-Cypriot restaurant I've been to before!  I had a lovely moussaka, and randomly there was Bob Marley playing - lovely evening!


6.  Lovely sunny morning and the sea



7.  Phone
I am thankful for the phone, and friends who pick it up and know exactly when you need to talk - I'm just sad you can't get or give hugs down the phone :(.


8.  Eden Project
I have to be back home tomorrow night for a training session (boo!) but on my way out of Cornwall I think I have decided I will visit the Eden Project.  For those who haven't heard of it, this is it:



9.  Pasties!
The traditional Cornish pasty!  If I don't eat one tomorrow, one will be coming back with me (along with rations for the rest of my family too - I need to pick up 5!)




10.  Funny film to pass time
I got to spend a bit of time on this rainy afternoon watching a film I'd asked for for my birthday back in July - and I wasn't disappointed!  Quartet is brilliant, but with a cast of Pauline Collins, Michael Gambon (aka Dumbledore don't you know), Maggie Smith (oh yeah, she was McGonagall in HP too wasn't she) and Billy Connelly, it was gonna always be fab, wasn't it?

Okay, so there we have it, see you next week.

Please comment, and get yourself over to Considerings and make your own list!

12 comments:

  1. oh… pasties not pasties!!!*

    excellent looking seaside location. we are fortunate here to be within a 20 minute drive to the ocean… I never tire of it.

    *…yes, a momentary lapse in maturity lol I think I will take advantage of the Wakefield Doctrine and blame it on an un-expected scottian outburst on my part

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I do love the ocean, "oh I do like to be beside the seaside, oh I do like to be beside the sea".

      Is pasties slang for something I don't know about? Innocent English girl here!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are having a lovely trip! Beautiful views of the ocean being my favorite. I live about 11 hours drive from the nearest oceanfront, so it is a rare sight for my eyes. That ocean view of yours looks perfect.
    I still don't know what the Eden project is, but it looks mighty interesting.
    Pasties are not common in the US. I have only seen them advertised twice in my life. In the US, when people hear the word "pasties" (as Clark alluded to) they think of the itty bitty bits women working in strip clubs wear so their breasts aren't completely bare. A decoration, if you will.
    Have a safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, now I see, thanks for filling me in on "pasties" lol, I am familiar with such devices, they normally have tassels here!

      Awwwh that's such a shame you don't get to the sea much, my Dad's from here and I live in Southampton on the south coast so never far away if I want some water.

      The Eden Project is a biodiversity project if you will, those funny looking domes are "biomes", one is set to tropical rainforest temperature, sweltering! It's worth a visit if you're ever in England.

      Delete
  3. It looks like a perfect morning, and the Eden project looks interesting. When we visited England years ago, we enjoyed pasties for lunch several times. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm looking forward to the Eden Project, I've been once before, it is really cool! Glad you've sampled pasties, I need to get my Dad to teach me how to make a proper one myself!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous beach photos :) I do love Cornwall and am glad you're having a lovely trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is lovely down here, the weekend has been good.

      Delete
  5. Pasties are sold at this little place up the road from my home... kind of unusual to have it here as I live in the middle of east nowhere! But its a caterer and they have a good deal of English fare as well as general European sorts of choices... THey make Pasties every day... fabulous things! Also a biodome in Canada not too far a drive from here that is also great... that rainforest is a swelterer! whoooo! Have a great week! It was fun to read this list and actually have a reference point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have pasties near you, good to read they've spread far and wide! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  6. That pasty looks delicious! What is inside, exactly? I love crust that's flaky on the outside and soaked with gravy on the inside - made chicken pot pie for supper Sunday night and the crust is the best part!

    I am a 12 hour drive (and that's driving hard and fast) to the nearest beach. I'm very envious of you who can be there in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh they are delicious Dyanne! The traditional cornish pasty has beef steak, potato, swede, onion and is well seasoned. The pastry is very important, the crust is the best bit, the miners used to use them to hold them by (and they would have meat in one end of the pasty and something sweet like jam the other - full meal in one!)

    Perspective of distance in the States totally changes, here we wouldn't call a 4 hour drive no time, but I'm used to doing it, but with the USA being so big, going on road trips in an RV sounds awesome, doing it here wouldn't be the same, you'd have got round the island in under a week!

    ReplyDelete