Sunday 17 November 2013

Ten things of thankful #17

So it's the weekend again (where is the time going??) and it's time for ten things of thankful.  So here's what's been good in the Emmaverse this week:

1.  Mouse evictions
On arrival back from holiday in Cornwall last weekend, I found the cat chasing (what I thought was) the mouse from the other day around the kitchen.  And when it jumped into the litter tray, I took my chance, confiscated litter tray, and encouraged mouse to jump out of front door.  And very smug, happy, righteous I felt after that - ha ha, mouse is gone!

Alas, later that evening, I dropped something by my bedside table.  On kneeling down to have a good look for thing-I-had-dropped, what should be on the floor under the bed?  Another mouse - DEAD!   UUUUUUUURRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!  Well, both live and dead one are gone now, and hopefully there are no more I haven't seen!  I've tried to explain to the cat that it's not Christmas yet, and I really don't need presents, but she doesn't seem to get it!

2.  Dress for conference/Christmas meal
I have found a lovely dress to wear to my work conference gala dinner next weekend, and our work Christmas do (only one person is going to see me at both, and she really won't care!)

Do you think it can make me look like the model too???

3.  Crafting afternoon
Seeing as it's the middle of November and I've only made 5 Christmas cards so far, I am having a much needed crafting afternoon at a friend's house this afternoon, which I'm hoping will be very productive!

4.  My friend is going to have me for a visit
I am having a weekend up with my friend in early December, which will be a lovely much-needed pre-Christmas get away and escape-from-it-all, we're gonna phone tonight to catch up and make plans!

5.  Perfume cabinet
My lovely shop assistant/dispenser extraordinaire excelled herself yesterday, this was number 1:

Those men on Christmas Eve who haven't bought their wife a present - we're sorted!

 
6. Consultation room
And this was number 2:
 
 Boy had that consultation room been due a tidy up and clean!  Between us, she cleaned, I sorted and binned and re-organised my cupboards, and now it's brill :)

7.  Hatties
 I went to a great gig with Mother last night, and Godparents.  I've seen this band three of four times now, and they're great.  We stayed til about 11, by which time it was a bit hot up the front being so crowded, and the mother had retreated to a back room to sit down (what's the point being there mother, see this is why I don't invite you to thinks, don't moan next time!!).  But it was really good, and what I needed, a good night out.

8.  Cornish sticker
Following my trip last weekend, the most excellent shop in Falmouth which has all things Cornish provided me with this, and now my car is officially Cornish, see I'm no emmet!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmet_%28Cornish%29

9.  IACGMOOH
Otherwise known as I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here
Now, if you're stateside and you don't have this, you need to look it up!  The current season starts again tonight, and we're in for 2-3 weeks of hilarity!

The general premise is dump some celebrities (I use the word loosely here, there's normally a few I don't know who they are!) in the jungle of the Australian outback, and let them survive somehow, do daily challenges, and suffer hunger on basic rations when people fail the tasks.  There's normally a few whiny pathetic ones, a few who wind everyone else up, and a few who are really funny and just get on with it!  So we will see this years selection tonight!  All the while commented on with hilarious effect by the fabulous Ant and Dec (cheeky Geordie presenting duo).

10.  The mother is still asleep in the spare room after last night's gig, so I can get ready in peace and sneak off to church - she WILL be taken home later!

16 comments:

  1. I love your posts ;-) keep it up x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, it is good to share the good things :) x

      Delete
  2. Oh you poor thing - a dead mouse in your bedroom! I found a frog in my bedroom once and that was bad enough! The dress looks gorgeous and I'm sure you'll look gorgeous in it too. Good luck with you Christmas card making ... I haven't even given Christmas a thought yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I've never had a frog, somehow that would be worse, slimy!!! Thank you, I did like the dress when I found it online and I ordered it the next day, tried it on when it arrived and was very impressed!

      I got 15 cards made today, very productive afternoon!

      Delete
  3. Ick on the mice. Where we live, mice are expected each fall after harvest. Hate those things with a passion. Hopefully you have seen the end of them.
    The dress is beautiful!
    You've been busy and have gotten a lot of organizing done. Good for you.
    I just realized last night that Thanksgiving is soon. My Christmas cards normally go out right after, and I don't have any idea what I'm doing. Panic is setting in. Good luck getting yours done.
    The TV people tried to bring that show to the US. I don't think it went over very well, mostly because they couldn't get any actual celebrities to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah hopefully no more mice for a while! Luckily I'm a bit used to them now, and it's only ever been tiny field mice and a couple of birds that she's brought in.

      Thank you, looking forward to wearing the dress!

      I got lots of cards made today, so another session like that and I should be done! I think it's nice you have Thanksgiving to hold Christmas off a bit over there, it starts way too soon here!

      Yes, like I say, it's "celebrities", mainly z-listers, but normally quite funny!

      Delete
  4. Your mouse (the one I tried to catch) was very cute. But you're talking to someone who rescued mice as a kid.

    Well done for the tidy-up and sort out. That kind of thing always makes one feel better.

    And WHOOP! I was WONDERING what I'd do now Downton's finished. YAY FOR IACGMOOH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the field mice are quite cute so luckily they're not scary to me, just as well!

      Oh yes, it is nice to have an organised consultation room, I can't wait for my week off to sort my house out!

      Yep, I'm a Celebrity's back, have fun watching! Knew you'd be up for that!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, really looking forward to wearing it at conference next weekend!

      Delete
  6. have not had mice actually walk out in front of us (here at the house) but having a dog might be a factor. from year to year, we do get colonized (we live in a wood, plenty of small warm-blooded lifeforms) and will at time hear them in the walls, but they seem to prefer elsewhere and move on.

    last minute Christmas gifts are good things…especially that ones the are actually enjoyed (as opposed to perishables).

    do not have the 'graft gene'… admire from a distance, respect ability and skill, don't have a clue.

    have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yeah I bet a dog would scare mice off, and added benefit they don't bring them in in the first place!

      I am not very arty, but card-making I can do because it is just sticking and stamping, not actually having to draw! I'm into it now, keeps me busy and the results are pretty and appreciated!

      Delete
  7. I'm so impressed that you are making all of your Christmas cards by hand! I feel accomplished if I get a photo taken and a Christmas letter written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I enjoy it! Still a lot to do though!

      Delete
  8. I had quite a run-in with mice in January in my preschool room. I do not find them cute AT ALL, and if you ever have a chance, you should check out what the little devils did to my room!

    LOVE the dress! Don't forget to take pictures!!!

    Also love the term "Emmett"! My parents live in a tourist area. It would be great to have stickers like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh can you link me in to the post about what the naughty mice did? Hopefully I will always evict in good time!

      Will get pictures at conference!

      Emmett is the best dialect word!

      Delete